Sunday, November 30, 2008
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
- Salvation- What more is there to be thankful for, than the redeeming work of Christ. Without His coming, His death and His resurrection, without the Father choosing to save His elect and sending His Son to take on His wrath and justice, we would all be condemned to pay the penalty for our sins. But instead there has been provided a path of forgiveness, a way unto salvation. Be thankful, all of you, the elect, for the salvation provided to us by the blood of our Lord and Savior. "For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly." Rom.5:6 "But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Cor. 15:57. Thank God for saving you, in spite of you!
- The Sovereignty of God- So many people say that they believe in the sovereignty of God, but do they trust in it? And are they thankful for it? 1 Peter 5:6-7 says "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you." We need to be emounsly grateful for the fact that we serve a sovereign, all just, and loving God! "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:6-7. We as believers should believe in the comforting confidence of God's sovereignty, so that we may be at peace in the Lord.
- Spankings- We get to thank God for the sufferings that He gives us, and they will only be appreciated when we understand the sovereignty of God. Prov. 13: 24 shows us that love is displayed in discipline, for it reads "Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him." When you are being disciplined, when things are hard and life isn't easy (the pilgrims sure didn't have it easy), it all goes to show that you are a son or daughter of God, and that you are loved by God. 1 Peter 4:12-13- "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed." We are to expect hard times, to not be surprised when we are challenged, and when those times come, we should rejoice that we got to share in the sufferings of Christ! Be thankful for the hard times, for the spankings!
- Scripture- The Word of God is living and powerful, over the blood of many martyrs, we can now read it in our own language. It is a gift for which we should be thankful. David showed His delight for the Word of God in Ps. 119, where he calls is sweeter than honey, a delight, a light, and a path unto righteousness. God has given us His Word, so that we may know His plan for our lives, so that we may know His laws and precepts, so that we may walk in the path of light and not stumble in the darkness. Through the Word of God, we can read about the salvation provided unto us through Jesus Christ. It is a precious jewel, for which we need to show our gratefulness!
- Sanctuary- Not only has God given us salvation, shown His love through spankings, and given us His Word, but He has also given us His Church, His body of people. Ps.35:18- "I will thank you in the great congregation;in the mighty throng I will praise you." 1 Peter 2:2-6 "Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good. As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." We as a body are the Church,we are members. one of another, and we should be thankful for one another, we should be thankful for our cooperate worship!
- The Supper- As we come to the Thanksgiving table, we should remember the ultimate meal- the King's Table! God has provided His Son as the bread and wine, He has invited us to enter His heavenly home and to sit at His table! Matt. 26:26-28 "Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." Just as Christ gave thanks, so we should be thankful for the invitation to eat at His Table, the ultimate Thanksgiving meal!
- The Spirit- after Christ ascended to sit once again at the right hand of God, He did not leave us unequipped, but He gave us His Spirit, so that we may proclaim the gospel and conquer the world with His truths! "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Acts 1:8
These are just a few of the great blessings that God has graciously bestowed upon us. Remeber the Lord and His works, not just on Thanksgiving, but throughtout the whole of your life!
"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thess. 5:16-18
Friday, November 21, 2008
She has made some very fun memories over the years with us! Whenever Destiny and Karissa are in the car with me, you can be sure of two things...first is that we probably look like a bunch of silly girls, for all we do is laugh and laugh and we have no idea at what we are laughing! Secondly, you can be sure that we will most likely stop at a Dutch Bros. for a smoothie, even if we have to dig up ever cent that we can find! Oh...and one other thing, you can be sure to see Destiny in the back seat either rummaging through my purse (for whatever reason, I have no idea), or stealing my makeup! Also her and Karissa, take pleasure in jumping on me, right when I am dozing off to sleep after talking to them till 1am! Yeah...those are great memories :)
Destiny is such a remarkable woman. She never ever seems stressed out at about anything, but at all things she brings laughter into them. Like what it says about the Prov. 31 woman- " Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come."
Destiny's love for her Lord and family, shine through all that she does. God does indeed have a truly wonderful plan for such a wonderful woman!
I love you Des, and pray that you shall continue to prosper in the work of the Lord, and His plan for your life!
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
"I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."